September 26th, 2008
With the AFL Grand Final on tomorrow and all the talk about the big game in the news, I thought I would share my favourite sporting events. I have been a sports lover since I was a kid and these ones a must watches for me each year.
1. AFL Grand Final – This is one of my free pass days. I get to sit in front of the TV all day. No-one asks me to do anything as they know how much I love watching the big game. If my team is playing that is good, but I am just happy to watch the best two teams battle it out.
2. The Boxing Day Test – For me there is something special about watching the Aussie Cricket Team walk out on the ground in the Boxing Day. If a player takes a bag of wickets or scores a big ton he is an instant hero in my eyes. This is another free pass day!
3. Wimbledon Tennis Open – I love the tradition of Wimbledon and the green grass courts. While the other majors are pretty good, Wimbledon is the big prize in my eyes. If you win that you can really play tennis!
4. The Tour de France – I have always loved cycling and each year I tune in to the main race. I just love the different stages and races within the race for the different colour jerseys.
5. Bathurst 1000 – At heart I am a bit of a rev head. My first car was a red and black 1972 HQ V8 Monaro! I really get caught up in the day and my wife and I like to watch it all day from start to finish.
So there you have it. My top five favourite sporting events that are held each year. As you can see I am a bit of a sports nut to say the least. What are your top five sports events of the year?